areas of expertise
Widely considered one of the country’s top privacy and data security lawyers, Tanya Forsheit has advised on high-profile matters involving confidential data and other sensitive information for nearly 20 years.
Ms. Forsheit is Co-Chair of the Privacy & Data Security Group, and a partner in the Technology & Digital Media, Litigation, and Advertising, Marketing & Public Relations groups. She represents multi-national and emerging companies in the media, entertainment, consumer products, healthcare, technology and professional services industries, and serves as outside privacy counsel for numerous organizations. She counsels clients facing data security breaches and defends against allegations that they mishandled sensitive customer or employee information. She advises on the protection, storage and monetization of confidential data, including privacy policies, mobile apps, cloud computing, smart devices and data analytics. Ms. Forsheit has frequently appeared in federal and state court litigation, and has advised clients in matters before the Federal Trade Commission and California and other state Attorneys General. She is Editor of Focus on the Data, a blog providing weekly insights and practical guidance on privacy and data security issues worldwide.
Her representative matters include:
- Advised on hundreds of information technology deals and transactions on behalf of both service providers and enterprise purchasers, including due diligence for, and negotiation and drafting of terms for, cloud computing agreements involving the sharing of sensitive information and other IT outsourcing transactions;
- Counseled hundreds of clients on implementation of programs, policies and procedures for purposes of complying with applicable laws and best practices, including but not limited to international laws such as the forthcoming European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR); federal laws like the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the CAN-SPAM Act, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA); and state laws including California’s Online Privacy Protection Act (CalOPPA) and Shine the Light law and Massachusetts’ data security regulations;
- Represented clients across industry sectors in connection with more than 100 data security breaches involving consumer data, employee information and other sensitive information;
- Drafted and updated several hundred privacy policies for websites, mobile apps and smart devices, including wearable technology;
- Assisted dozens of organizations on application for EU-US Privacy Shield certification;
- Represented nearly a dozen clients in litigating and/or resolving disputes under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, including successfully defeating class certification in December 2015 on behalf of a healthcare technology company in a privacy class action in which plaintiffs sought recovery of more than $40 million for alleged unlawful transmission of faxes relating to HIPAA compliance.
Chambers USA, IT Law Experts, Who’s Who Legal, and Super Lawyers have all praised Ms. Forsheit for her privacy, data security and technology work, and the Los Angeles Daily Journal has twice included her in its list of "Top Women Lawyers." Ms. Forsheit lectures widely on technology law topics and has been quoted on privacy and data security in publications such as the Los Angeles Times, Forbes, ComputerWorld, Venture Beat, and Law360.
She is certified as an information privacy professional by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). Ms. Forsheit is a past President of the Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles; and is a member of the American Bar Association: Science and Technology Law Section; the Los Angeles County Bar Association: Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property Section (ELIPS), Executive Committee; and the California Bar: Business Law Section, Cyberspace Committee.
Prior to joining Frankfurt Kurnit, she was a partner with BakerHostetler, and a founding partner of InfoLawGroup LLP, one of the nation’s leading privacy and data security boutiques.
awards & recognition
Chambers USA - Nationwide, Privacy & Data Security
IT Law Experts
Who’s Who Legal - Telecommunications Media & Technology - Information Technology
Super Lawyers - Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles Daily Journal "Top Women Litigators"
Duke University (AB, cum laude, 1994)
University of Pennsylvania Law School (JD, 1997)
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
ANA Law and Public Policy Conference
Terri Seligman and Tanya Forsheit present "Marketing in Augmented Reality: Pokémon Go and Treasure Hunts in The Digital Age" and Rick Kurnit participates once again on the "Tweeting With Words" panel at the 2017 ANA Advertising Law & Public Policy Conference.
March 28 2017
Cloud Computing 2017: Key Issues and Practical Guidance
Once again, Tanya Forsheit chairs the yearly Cloud Computing: Key Issues and Practical Guidance for the Practising Law Institute (PLI). Ron Minkoff present the ethics portion in the New York seminar. For more informstion or to register, please click here
May 1 2017
Cloud Computing 2017: Key Issues and Practical Guidance
May 22 2017
Association of Corporate Counsel: Privacy and Data Security Event
Tanya Forsheit presents on privacy and data security for the Association of Corporate Counsel.
November 2 2017
Past Speaking Engagements
Traversing the Challenges of e-Commerce Litigation in Federal Court
Tanya Forsheit speaks at "Traversing the Challenges of e-Commerce Litigation in Federal Court" for The Rutter Group.
March 14 2017
The Global Legal Challenges of Privacy & Data Security
February 7 2017
Social Media 2017: Addressing Corporate Risks
February 2 2017
LA Daily Journal’s Cyber Boot Camp
January 12 2017
news & press
Tanya Forsheit in the LA Daily Journal
New Privacy and Data Security Blog
Looking for an easy way to keep up with the rapid-fire changes in Privacy and Data Security law? Introducing Focus on the Data — Frankfurt Kurnit's weekly insights and practical guidance on privacy and data security issues.
More Complex Privacy Rules Expected in 2017
The Los Angeles Daily Journal quoted Tanya Forsheit on changes in international privacy and data security rules. Among other things, Ms. Forsheit noted that “many companies are still going through the process of getting approved under the new [Privacy Shield] rules.” Read more. (Behind paywall.)
FTC Hits Targeting Platform Turn Inc. for Deceptive Online Tracking
On Tuesday, December 20, the FTC announced a settlement with digital marketing platform Turn Inc. over claims that the company deceptively tracked users across the Internet for advertising purposes.
Data Breach Harm Standard May Head to SCOTUS in ‘17
FCC Adopts Broadband Consumer Privacy Rules
On October 27, 2016, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) adopted an Order requiring broadband Internet service providers and all other telecommunications carriers providing telecommunications services to take greater steps to protect the privacy of their customers, including current and former subscribers and new applicants. Here's a summary of the key obligations imposed on carriers:
Latest on the FTC Data Security Front
FTC Issues Guide on How to Respond to a Data Breach, and Eleventh Circuit Questions the FTC's Interpretation of Its Section 5 Authority But Does NOT Alter the Unfairness Standard in Data Security Matters.
EU-U.S. Privacy Shield passes: Now What?
The New “Privacy Shield”: What Does it Mean for Your Company?
This week brought important news for any company that transfers across borders, or receives cross-border transfers of, consumer or employee personally identifying data (very broadly defined).
Tanya Forsheit in US Official News
Tonya Forsheit in Forever Duke Magazine
Tanya Forsheit in IAPP Daily Dashboard
Frankfurt Kurnit Adds Tanya Forsheit as Privacy and Data Security Group Co-Chair
Los Angeles, CA — Frankfurt Kurnit Klein + Selz PC has added Tanya Forsheit as partner and co-chair of the firm’s Privacy and Data Security Group effective July 5, 2016.
Frankfurt Kurnit in Chambers 2016
For the twelfth consecutive year Chambers USA America's Leading Lawyers for Business recognized Frankfurt Kurnit. Chambers USA ranked us for our: Advertising: Transactional & Regulatory, Intellectual Property: Trade Mark & Copyright, Media & Entertainment: Entertainment Litigation, and Media & Entertainment: Film, Music, Television & Theater work.