- Published Articles
- In the Press
- Press Releases
Sign Up for Alerts
Sign up to receive receive industry-specific emails from our legal team.
Sign Up for Alerts
We provide tailored, industry-specific legal updates to our clients and other friends of the firm.
Areas of Interest
April 11th, 2013
JPC and SAG-AFTRA Tentative Deal Terms
The Joint Policy Committee and SAG-AFTRA reached a tentative deal on a new Commercials Contract. On April 20-21, SAG-AFTRA will present the tentative agreement to its National Board of Directors for its approval. If approved, the deal will then be presented to SAG-AFTRA''s full membership for ratification.The tentative deal must still be approved by SAG-AFTRA's National Board of Directors on April 20-21, and then ratified by its full membership.
- Term: 3 years from April 1, 2013;
- Compensation: a 6% increase on wages for performers, but not on allowances;
- Pension & Health: the p&h contribution rate increases from 15.5% to 16.8%;
- User Generated Contests: entries exhibited in any media after the declaration of a winner will be subject to the Contract rates and terms;
- Public Recording for "Made Fors": producers may film/record people in public for an Internet/New Media spot without making applicable Contract payments, provided such people are not scripted or cast, and provided the producer notifies SAG-AFTRA. However, if the ultimate commercial is used in SAG-AFTRA-covered media other than Internet or New Media, any principal appearing in such commercial must be compensated in accordance with the Contract;
- Internet/New Media "Move Over" Rates: for an 8 week cycle, the rate increases from 133% to 150% of the session fee; for a one year cycle, the rate increases from 350% to 400% of the session fee;
- Internet/New Media "Made Fors" Rates: the rates remain at 133% for an 8 week cycle, and 350% for a one year cycle; and
- Internet/New Media Maximum Period of Use: the MPU remains at 21 months.
Until the new Contract is ratified, producers may continue to pay the 2009-2012 rates, but may want to budget for the increase that will be retroactive to April 1.
If you have any questions about this news, details about the Contract, SAG-AFTRA, or any other advertising or marketing law issues, please contact Jeffrey A. Greenbaum at (212) 826 5525 or email@example.com, Brian Murphy at (212) 826 5577 or firstname.lastname@example.org or any other member of the Frankfurt Kurnit Advertising, Marketing and Public Relations Group.
Other Advertising Law Alerts
Get Ready for California’s New “Automatic Renewal” Rules
California recently amended its Automatic Purchase Renewals law. The amended statute - effective July 1st -- require marketers to provide consumers of automatic renewal or continuous service offers with more information and easier ways to terminate.
June 22 2018
“Made in the U.S.A.” Claims Continue to be Scrutinized
In 2016, California amended Section 17533.7 of the California Business and Professions Code ("Section 17533"), liberalizing the standard for selling products labeled "Made in U.S.A" to California consumers.
June 4 2018
FTC Issues a $2 Million Reminder to Ad Agencies
The Federal Trade Commission ("FTC") and the State of Maine have announced a $2 million dollar settlement with ad agency Marketing Architects, Inc. ("MAI") for deceptive weight-loss claims.
February 12 2018