- Published Articles
- In the Press
- Press Releases
Sign Up for Alerts
Sign up to receive receive industry-specific emails from our legal team.
Sign Up for Alerts
We provide tailored, industry-specific legal updates to our clients and other friends of the firm.
Areas of Interest
June 4th, 2015
New EU Data Protection Law May Be Ready This Year
In January, 2012, the EU legislative bodies proposed an updated and more harmonized data protection law to replace the existing EU Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC. That Directive - part of the EU Privacy and Human Rights Law - was created to regulate the processing of personal data within the European Union. While still a work in progress, the new General Data Protection Regulation is now expected to be adopted at the end of 2015 or early 2016.
The new data protection law will apply to all 27 European member states and will significantly change the landscape of EU privacy and data protection in several key areas, including:
- greater control over personal information for individuals, including the right to "data portability," and the "right to be forgotten";
- stricter requirements for obtaining consent to collect and store personal data;
- new restrictions on tracking and targeted advertising;
- new rules for police and criminal justice authorities that exchange data across EU state borders;
- stricter data breach reporting obligations (for example, that breaches must be reported to regulators within 24 hours); and
- substantial new penalties for data privacy violations (the greater of €100 million, or 2 - 5% of a company's annual worldwide revenue).
For more information about the new data protection law, or other matters privacy and data security issues, please contact S. Gregory Boyd CIPP/US at (212) 826-5581 or email@example.com, Jeremy Goldman CIPP/US at (212) 705 4843 or firstname.lastname@example.org, Jessica Smith at (212) 705-4876 or email@example.com, or any other member of Frankfurt Kurnit's Privacy & Data Security Group.
Other Privacy & Data Security Law Alerts
Privacy Shield: Year One Updates You Need To Know
This month we're celebrating Privacy Shield's first birthday with an update on everything Privacy Shield. There have been a number of developments on the Privacy Shield-front that companies certified or seeking self-certification under Privacy Shield need to know.
October 17 2017
Class Action Lawsuits Over Alleged COPPA Violations Reinforce Importance of Compliance
Earlier this month, three class action lawsuits were filed against companies for alleged violations of the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA").
August 22 2017
Third State Adopts Biometric Privacy Law
On June 1, 2017, Washington State joined Illinois and Texas as the third state to pass a biometric privacy law. The law, H.B. 1493, which goes into effect July 23, 2017, covers any business entity that collects biometric identifiers for commercial purposes.
July 11 2017