- Published Articles
- In the Press
- Press Releases
Sign Up for Alerts
Sign up to receive receive industry-specific emails from our legal team.
Sign Up for Alerts
We provide tailored, industry-specific legal updates to our clients and other friends of the firm.
Areas of Interest
June 4th, 2015
New EU Data Protection Law May Be Ready This Year
In January, 2012, the EU legislative bodies proposed an updated and more harmonized data protection law to replace the existing EU Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC. That Directive - part of the EU Privacy and Human Rights Law - was created to regulate the processing of personal data within the European Union. While still a work in progress, the new General Data Protection Regulation is now expected to be adopted at the end of 2015 or early 2016.
The new data protection law will apply to all 27 European member states and will significantly change the landscape of EU privacy and data protection in several key areas, including:
- greater control over personal information for individuals, including the right to "data portability," and the "right to be forgotten";
- stricter requirements for obtaining consent to collect and store personal data;
- new restrictions on tracking and targeted advertising;
- new rules for police and criminal justice authorities that exchange data across EU state borders;
- stricter data breach reporting obligations (for example, that breaches must be reported to regulators within 24 hours); and
- substantial new penalties for data privacy violations (the greater of €100 million, or 2 - 5% of a company's annual worldwide revenue).
For more information about the new data protection law, or other matters privacy and data security issues, please contact S. Gregory Boyd CIPP/US at (212) 826-5581 or firstname.lastname@example.org, Jeremy Goldman CIPP/US at (212) 705 4843 or email@example.com, Jessica Smith at (212) 705-4876 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or any other member of Frankfurt Kurnit's Privacy & Data Security Group.
Other Privacy & Data Security Law Alerts
CPRA Regs: 8 New Obligations You Need to Know
On February 14, the CPPA, California’s new privacy regulatory agency, filed the first part of its proposed final CPRA Regs with California’s Office of Administrative Law (OAL). Read more.
February 21 2023
Privacy Considerations for 2023
2023 is around the corner. As a refresher, on January 1, 2023, two new comprehensive privacy laws – the California Privacy Rights Act (“CPRA”) and the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act (“VCDPA”) – take effect. Read more.
December 6 2022
New York Regulator Says Even One Access Control Failure Can Invalidate Years of Compliance Certifications
The New York Department of Financial Services (“NYDFS”) recently entered into a Consent Order (the “Consent Order”) with EyeMed Vision Care LLC (“EyeMed”) over violations of the agency’s Cybersecurity Requirements (23 NY CRR Part 500) (“Part 500”). Read more.
October 26 2022